Tuesday, 7 September 2010
City Hum
The fluorescent light hummed away its merry monotone tune, but still the cafe remained a little sullen. The early winters evening had wrapped its cold colourless hands around the place with greedy revere. A deep fryer sizzled in the back, the cook's shuffled feet another instrument added to the soundtrack. The kids were eating happily but making little noise, their cheery red cheeks slowly warming and returning to their original pale rose pigment. A few shadows passed by the tall cafe front windows, mostly black blurs of indistinguishable age or sex. The smell of salt and vinegar and hot fried potato was strong to the point of intoxication. The night rumbled on for miles around, the city was happy. And for the most part, so were its people. S.H.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
If I am able to own my little restaurant in the future, that's exactly what I want it to be like every day, but perhaps with healthier food:D. You make me dream, Shaun.
HAHA! In regards to your previous post, if only hey? If only a perfect match was as easy as that. I need me some balls to talk to him hey?
Until then.
xx
I want to go to this cafe! It sounds like the perfect place for me to people watch! :) I love the way you illustrate each individual aspect of the cafe and the people. I wish I could write like you! I can not write anywhere near as allegorical as you! I do write a lot though, I have a book on the go at the moment, but it will not be as good as your when you publish!
I guess I shall just have to continually blush then! haha Never, ever, EVER change!
<3 A Wonderland of Thought
I want to go to this cafe! It sounds like the perfect place for me to people watch! :) I love the way you illustrate each individual aspect of the cafe and the people. I wish I could write like you! I can not write anywhere near as allegorical as you! I do write a lot though, I have a book on the go at the moment, but it will not be as good as your when you publish!
I guess I shall just have to continually blush then! haha Never, ever, EVER change!
<3 A Wonderland of Thought
Ah Shaun, perhaps one day you SHALL be in my dreams, though you are only one of a small few who actually consider that as a goal:P
Well, he's aware of me, that's for sure, but I think that he thinks I'm his stalker. Enough about that. How is life faring your way? I had a really nice tiramisu cake today. It was soft, light and fluffy with a distinct aromatic hint of chocolate intertwined with coffee:)
Until next time.
xx
Such a nice description it almost makes me feel like I am actually there!!
And ahhh I get what you mean now, nah I am not one for the text speak unless I abosolutely need to say something thats a bit longer than my text allows then I will shorten a few things just to make it fit!!
Kitty
Really? I love all cakes, as long as they're right. Cake are like men to me. I'm quite fussy with how they're made, but not what they are. No wait. That doesn't sound really right. Never mind:P. Europe? Really? Though I've never seen you, I'll miss knowing that you're in Australia.[ I think that's where you are?] Well, if that's the case, when I get enough money and you're in London, may you escort this girl around the grounds of Piccadilly? I'd like my first views of London to be through the Hume eyes:)
My parents are the same, arrogant, ignorant, expecting and childish but I'm learning to bear with them...slowly. I'll find my serenity soon enough:)
Until next time.
xx
haha sorry that the last comment posted twice, I don't know what happened there....hmmm....
Awww, I make you blush? hehe YAY! Goal acheived!!! ;)
Lovely is fine with me! haha I don't mind at all! xD
I'm not sure if I have told you about it...I'm not sure if I have told anyone...
If I had to sum it up, it is about the troubles of falling in love as a teenager (around the age of 18, 19-ish) and the complications that family adds to the mix!
Ginger is wonderful! If I could be anyone at all, it would be her!
<3 A Wonderland of Thought
I just realised how many grammatically incorrect errors I had within my previous comment. Apologies:P
Woo!! I have my own tour for London[!!] and not just any average tour guide but a future literature celebrity!! Go me:D
Yes, I've heard quite a lot of times that I'm very humourous, but then again, idiotic things occasionally escape my mouth.:S
I'm looking forward to what the future brings, apparently, a friend of mine who lived in London until the age of 15 or so before moving here says I MUST go try the Thorntons Chocolate. I shall trust you to lead me to my sugary paradise:D
Ahh Queensland. I love how it rains in the night and you get that fresh morning smell in the morning:D. Well, that's my memory of Queensland.
As for parents, let's be happy at least we both know NOT what to do if and when we have children of our own. See? They have given us at least that beneficial experience.
Until then.
xx
I think the moment the plane lands in London I'll be a high bunny already:D
I haven't crossed a Thorntons here yet and YES I love ice cream too. Cookies and Cream being my favourite, then perhaps a mango sorbet as second? Mmm, looking forward to it now.
Hmm, children, I'd love them..with the right guy and at the appropriate time. They'll be the type of kids who always feel lucky with their lifestyles and appreciate it...hopefully:P
I think I shall retire for the night. I shall dream of a sugary heaven where the sun is golden caramel and the chocolates and ice cream are free:)
...And if we get sick from the sugar rush, we'll give Dr. Malteser a visit:D
Until next time.
xx
This post made me really really hungry.
Arghh!
Haha I don't think I have ever made anyone blush! That is exciing! haha
I have only let to of my friends read it, but if you want to I will elaborate in a blog post! :) I shall have to do it later though, I am off to University right at this moment!
<3 A Wonderland of Thought
I need the unicorns to win...otherwise who else is going to take me to the Forest of Feelings?
Tell me who!!!!
Yeah..maybe.
But then it would be all...you know..undead.
Post a Comment