Sunday, 29 August 2010

For Love Or Money?

Some time ago I decided that I would do what I enjoyed as work, even if it wasn't the highest paying or most sparkling of status positions. The work I do DOES enable me to look after myself, save money and do just about what I want within reason. I won't be buying a brand new beamer or owning that six bedroom home in Hertfordshire any time soon, but I've gotten along alright in the past.
The problem I find myself being readily confronted with is what will happen a decade or so down the track. Will I still be content with enjoying what I do, even if it means I have to scrimp and save a little in order to support my future family? Or will I HAVE to reeducate and up or even change completely my qualifications in order to get that "real job"?
I guess the crux of my query is this - is a guy's salary really a big pull or deterrent to a girl?
Add to the pot that what I do is not considered a "regular" occupation for a guy to have (for the record, I work with kids) and I have had many a girl who has turned the other way when she has found out my status among the career world.
Unfortunately, all this means that now more than ever I am faced with a simple question - do I continue to do what I love, with the risk that I will never be taken seriously by another as a future other half? Or do I change my ideas radically and go for the practical option, get another qualification and start doing a job that I may not enjoy as much, but at least I'll be able to park that new BMW in the front drive of my six bedroom house?
It all comes down to one. Does the higher flying job and larger salary package really mean that much? (We're not talking about the difference between being flat broke and a millionaire here. It's more the difference between having a second hand Toyota Corolla or a brand spanking new Mercedes C Class). Or is it really true that as long as there is love, you can always find a way to make it work no matter what? S.H.

15 comments:

A Wonderland of Thought said...

The right girl will not care what you do. It shouldn't be a factor in relationships, if you love what you do, then she will love you for it. There is nothing more impressive than a guy who is happy with what he is doing regardless of what everyone thinks! If you are happy, then she will be happy for you. It is as simple as that! If she is not happy that you are happy, then she is not the right person for you.

Keep smiling! Someone is bound to fall in love with you for it! :)

<3 A Wonderland of Thought

Jennifer Louise said...

I hope so.

I would like to believe that love could make it work, no matter what your income, or job. I guess time will tell.

I think you should keep doing what you love. What makes you happy. But then again I am a bit of an idealist.

A Wonderland of Thought said...

You're welcome! :)

Don't listen to the nay sayers! They don't know what they are talking about! And never listen to a person who wants to bring you down, they are more often than not jealous of you and/or your life!

<2 A Wonderland of Thought

Jennifer Louise said...

Why, yes he did shine his true colours, rather magnificently! (yes, I like that word).

He's a character that was thought up a little while ago, I just never knew how to write about him.

Also, I agree completely with Wonderland's comment!

So..be, happy! (and never forget to! :D)

Jennifer Louise said...

Then my job is done ;)

A Wonderland of Thought said...

:)

<3 A Wonderland of Thought

A Wonderland of Thought said...

I am loving the fact that I now have an excuse for people to do things for me! haha

Oh no, you haven't depressed me at all. This isn't the first time I have twisted my ankle! No sir! haha the first time I was about 15. I decided it would be easier to jump over a bench seat rather than walk around it! I was wearing my school uniform at the time and that consisted of a long skirt. Needless to say, I go caught in my skirt and twisted my ankle then too!

And I don't know where the guys were! I just remember thinking that I had to get up off the floor! I think the lack of chivalry is a world wide phenomena at the moment unfortunately. (though, I am not sure that there were any guys in the lecture theatre at the time (I do Psychology, the girl to guy ratio is a bit out of balance!)) Sometimes I do wish I was back in the 1700's sometimes (i.e. Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility) Just for the mere fact that men still opened doors for women!

<3 A Wonderland of Thought

A Wonderland of Thought said...

No one will be waiting on my foot any time soon, my hand, however, I don't mind! ;)

Yeah! I was 15 when the skirt one happened, so you can imagine the bruise my ego had! And there were HEAPS of people around! It was (well still is, but I'm not there anymore!) the biggest all girls catholic school in the city! so, yeah! you can imagine the rest!

I know! People are shocked when it happens! I opened a door for an older lady on Friday (just a few minutes prior to the stairs incident!) and she stood there for a good couple of seconds with a dumbfounded look on her face! In my head I was thinking "Isn't this normal???? Doesn't everyone do this? Why is she shocked?!?!?!" I don't mind opening doors for older ladies and gentlemen, I figure I am a fit and healthy young whipper snapper, I can afford the few extra seconds it takes!

<3 A Wonderland of Thought

A Wonderland of Thought said...

I remember that day quite vividly! And yes it was a long, pleated skirt, thought I do beleive the colour was officially called 'Royal Blue' by the school. (It always looked just like Navy to me!) It doesn't surprise me that it is similar, not at all! The school I went to stemmed from the school in England from the 1600's. The uniforms really haven't changed much at all, just the petticoat's have been removed! haha

A rare breed, indeed we are! True Romantic's and kind and friendly! That isn't a combination you see everyday! ;)

<3 A Wonderland of Thought

A Wonderland of Thought said...

haha no, not Wesley. It was Loreto College. and before you go there, no it was not Toorak, I went to Loreto College in Ballarat. (The first one ever built in Australia, I might add!) haha ;)

And I am far from posh! I drive a road rally car ever other weekend! I didn't really fit in at Loreto. I was always the girl who drew pictures in class and hung out in the "weird" places at school! My friends and I used to sit at the top of a staircase which was the access to the school archives! I spent all of my spare time in the Library reading.

A beret! wow! I thought wearing a Blazer to and from school without choice was bad!

<3 A Wonderland of Thought

A Wonderland of Thought said...

haha I did ruffle a few noses! I was good at that! haha Our blazers were plain royal blue with royal blue buttons and the Loreto crest stitched in gold into the top right hand pocket. To further prove the point that I ruffled noses, my blazer had Gold buttons, a red ribbon pinned to the collar at all times and I never, ever wore it into school, I carried it on my arm! haha

Yes, a road rally car! but no, not my Celica! My Celica is purely for fast driving on Freeways and Highways only! (and my daily driving needs) My road rally car is a Mk2 Ford Escort! Lots of fun!

<3 A Wonderland of Thought

KittyBonkers said...

Pfft the right girl won't care what you do as a job or how big your pay packet is, she will just love you for you!! And the fact you work with kids is amazing as not to many men would do that and the right girl will see that rather than your pay packet!! Trust me, love doesn't have room for worrying about money!! Working with kids already shows you will have the patience to be a good dad too!!

And thank you for commenting on my blog, yeah I think some people have the same problem as me not being able to follow people on google! She did have a full like, I still miss her terribly though!! She eventually died of her liver, as her thyroids stopped working so it would of been cruel to try and keep her alive :( Just a shock that she did die had her nearly all my life! 23 is ages!! Such an age for a cat!!
Haha yeah you can its not too weird LOL I am glad people do like my dresses, sometimes I think I dress a bit weird for people in England these days!

Kitty

A Wonderland of Thought said...

haha yeah, I hated the constraints of the school! The red was because it stands out. I got it when I was younger as support for the Red Ribbon Foundation.

I kid you not! A Mk2 For Escort! I will say, I do get a lot of attention when I go to the road rally meets!

Actually... I have 3 cars! I have my Celica, the Escort and a Triumph 2500S.. I am a bit of a car lover! That shock's a lot of people (especially guys), but once you know why, it is more understandable! My father is an Auto Electrician. I used to work in the shop with him when I was a little kid and on hoidays! :)

<3 A Wonderland of Thought

A Wonderland of Thought said...

I wouldn't say poshness at all! :P The escort and 2500S I got in less than good condition and re-built them with my dad, and the Celica my mum and dad saved up for. And luck is right! I only got the Escort because my brother-in-law had it! :P

My dad and I were always really close when I was a kid! I went everywhere with him!

<3 A Wonderland of Thought

Intrigued.shesays said...

Everything is fine indeed:) It's just I've been quite busy recently, that's all. [I think that's what you meant when you sent me the 'everything cool message'...if I'm mistaken then I am a fool, no?:P]

Love all the way. Consider it this way. If you marry a girl who admires you for your status or wealth then in the future, she'll tire of money, or she'll never actually love you for you. Now that would definitely not be a relationship considering at all. Feelings are always priority for me.

PS-I am surprised! My name doesn't start with a 'P'. But then again, you wouldn't have known. Very well. An obvious clue is that I tend to say unintelligent things therefore, to my friends, I am classified as a cliched _l_ _d_.

Until then.
xx