Tuesday, 17 August 2010

The Supermarket Thing

Does the supermarket thing really work? You know the score. You're walking along, minding your own business in the deli section when before your view there slides one of the most charming looking girls, or as the case may be, guy, that you have seen in recent memory. You clear your throat with sandpaper comfort and set about chancing introductions. "Oh, fancy that, we use the same brand of cottage cheese. Shall we go out?" Of course I now it's probably not that simple. But then again, it might be. The question that remains for me is wether or not it is humanly possible for humans. This is excluding Brad Pitt and and any other demigod of the netherworld, that is. I have a friend that assures me it is defiantly possible. But when you look like he does, it's more probable that HE'S the one getting approached by nervous produce wielding beauties. Mind you, this is also the same friend that suggested that in order to take it to the next plateau with my then girlfriend of four weeks, that I book a hotel room without telling her and then end our day's date by saying "I've got us a room. Let's go." Maybe that would have worked. But maybe not. The supermarket thing works in movies. But everything works in movies.
Back to the main thread, and IF this all works. Well, I'm sure it does. But I'm even more sure that it's not normal people that manage to pull this seemingly unsurmountable feat off. It's done by these chiselled characters with mythical good looks. It's done by the Populars and their scudded accomplices.
Aside from anything else I think common decency holds ME back. I just don't think anyone wants another person to creep up behind them while they are trying to make the ever important decision of wether to get smoked or regular bacon. I just don't think it's good manners. But then again, what's manners when the magnetic field begins to wail? What does common decency matter when your favourite song begins to play over the supermarket loud speakers, seemingly spurring you on in an oh so spiritual way. That's how it happens in the movies. Maybe that's how it happens in real life too? S.H.

8 comments:

Intrigued.shesays said...

Actually, the supermarket thing works in a way, but not for picking up people:P

Apparently I'm very approachable. I'm the type of person whom lost people would ask for directions, or for a hand. I'm not sure why, but I'm also the type of person that randomly selected people decide to converse with. For example, during my work experience week, this lady was in the elevator with me going up. By the time I reached the 7th floor, I found out that it was her husband's birthday, her daughter and her boyfriend [who she doesn't like] are visiting and that she's worried her pet dog has the flu.

As a dating technique though...you're right. I'd be a bit freaked out if a guy asked me for my number after a 2 minute conversation. Maybe you should let things come to you. It usually works out best that way.

Until then.
xx

Intrigued.shesays said...

Oh really? I have a friend who came from England. He has been in Australia for about 3 years now. He's an absolute gem. We're good friends in a sense. I love his accent though he gets embarrassed easily when I mention it. He's extremely nice as well. I'd like to visit the UK one day. I'll test your theory and talk to the first guy I meet in the supermarket. It's not like I can steal his groceries, he hasn't paid for them yet! Hmm, the possibilities of the ending result to that experiment.

Until next time.
xx

Intrigued.shesays said...

Haha! Worst comes to worst if the experiment concludes horribly I'll introduce him to Dr. Malteser :P

Until then.
xx

Intrigued.shesays said...

Aww that just sounds absolutely adorable. The guy would be ecstatic as well! Who could ever resist a well dressed Malteser?

Until next time.
xx

Intrigued.shesays said...

That's when Dr. Malteser's friends would come in of course.

Until then.
xx

Jennifer Louise said...

I have yet to try it.

Somehow the supermarket doesn't feel life the real world though.

That could be all the chocolate (and the isle music yes). When I see my reflection in the isle security cameras they now have, I am surprised by what I see.

I am supermarket Jen, in a world of wonderful food. Only in the supermarket, can buying bacon feel like an important (wonderful) decision.

Outside everything is different (there is no constant christmas music for one thing).

I think people would be too.

(I am aware of how ridiculous this comment is :D )

Anonymous said...

I don't think there's any place in the world that picking someone up WON'T work. It all depends on the person and the situation!

Of course, a blatant "LET'S GO OUT SHALL WE?" probably won't work, but a little chit chat back and forth, make her laugh... yeah, that'll work.

Charlotte. said...

oh, i do wish the supermarket thing worked.